How To - Killboard Installation Tutorial

Here you can discuss in general things about EVE-Dev website.
Keil Sonter
Noob

How To - Killboard Installation Tutorial

Post by Keil Sonter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 16:31

We have posted an expansive Killboard tutorial on our website at:

http://www.solar-sentinel.co.uk/develop ... art-1.html

Hopefully this will be of value to those with limited or no experience of MySQL, PHP, FTP'ing files etc.

We would appreciate your feedback and comments on any errors or omissions.

regards,
Keil Sonter

mastergamer
Lead Moderator

Re: How To - Killboard Installation Tutorial

Post by mastergamer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 16:37

You may want to mention in the section about PHP that MySQLi is required. You also don't need to import the optional alliance/corp/pilot data (in fact if your database space is limited it may be a good idea not to import it).

Keil Sonter
Noob

Post by Keil Sonter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 16:50

mastergamer wrote:You may want to mention in the section about PHP that MySQLi is required. You also don't need to import the optional alliance/corp/pilot data (in fact if your database space is limited it may be a good idea not to import it).
Thank you for your quick response and advice.

You are quite correct on both points and I will update the tutorial accordingly.

regards,
Keil Sonter

lidicus
Noob

Post by lidicus » Sat Feb 27, 2010 07:13

THANKYOU!!! :D
ive been through god knows how many websites and forum posts for the past 3 hours until i saw this

Kovell
Veteran

Post by Kovell » Sat Feb 27, 2010 08:32

EDK3 upped the requirements a bit. It needs PHP5+, MySQL 5+ and mysqli. The DOM extensions are also useful for updates. The first three are almost standard but it seems DOM is less so. DOM is not required, it's just useful.

EDK2 needs PHP4.0.9+ (I've only checked 4.4.9+) and MySQL 4.1+. mysqli is not required but does improve performance and reliability. I'm not developing this version further but I do fix any new bugs that are found.

The optional database files have been removed from future versions of EDK since they haven't been required for years.

Keil Sonter
Noob

Post by Keil Sonter » Sat Feb 27, 2010 16:02

lidicus wrote:THANKYOU!!! :D
ive been through god knows how many websites and forum posts for the past 3 hours until i saw this
Excellent - glad to be of help :)

Keil Sonter
Noob

New Killboard Installation Tutorial on video

Post by Keil Sonter » Fri Dec 24, 2010 09:35

A new Killboard installation guide is available for the latest release (EDK 3.1.5)

There are two YouTube video's available to give a step-by-step guide on the process of installing a Killboard.

The first goes through the checks to ensure that a website is capable of hosting the Killboard and demonstrates loading and viewing a phpinfo.php file followed by creating the database and finding the downloads on the EVE-ID site and then uploading to a webserver using FileZilla.

The second goes through the actual installation of the killboard step by step and finishes by showing the admin panel and making a simple change to the appearance to comply with the overall theme of the website used.

There is also a pdf to accompany the video's

Killboard Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkve2rr9Wg

Killboard Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snm26scazVw

PDF Download:
http://www.orbital-fusion.co.uk/downloa ... plications

There will be another video to demonstrate configuration of the Killboard to automate input of kill data and CRON jobs etc, but this will have to wait until after the holidays.

I would appreciate any and all comments on this - especially as the video's are only posted today and if I have made some silly errors then I can remedy this quite quickly.

Hope this helps ...

regards,
Keil

mastergamer
Lead Moderator

Post by mastergamer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 13:48

Couple of comments about the PDF:

The links for the EDK download aren't the latest. The best place to get the latest install package is by going to http://code.google.com/p/evedev-kb/ and looking at the 'featured downloads' section.

You list the requirements for the latest EDK, but the screenshot shows an install screen from an older version.

The database type should be set to InnoDB if possible - the EDK will use transactions when InnoDB is used, but MyISAM doesn't support them.

Keil Sonter
Noob

Post by Keil Sonter » Fri Dec 24, 2010 19:01

Thanks for your feedback mastergamer and I have made some amendments to the pdf as suggested.

The EDK links point to http://code.google.com/p/evedev-kb/

The screenshot has been updated

Our PHP setup doesn't support InnoDB so I have spelled this out and recommended InnoDB should be used if available

Much obliged for your quick response and feedback.

regards,
Keil

BinaryData
Noob

Post by BinaryData » Sun Oct 02, 2011 01:53

Just a tip,

You could've made this a lot easier by making the videos a bit longer. Since the Server prep & Killboard installation are fairly easy, it would've been smart to put them together, seperate them by text on the screen.

A lot of the features of the killboard are a bit more in-depth, so short videos to explain them all would be quite sweet.

- Data

Return to “General Chat”